Ideal Mini School started as an alternative independent school in the 1970s. Since joining the Vancouver School Board in 1974, it has been under the stewardship of various Vancouver schools. Currently, it is under the administration of Sir Winston Churchill Secondary School.
Ideal Mini is a Grade 8 to 12 program that offers courses at all grade levels. At the senior level, students may elect to take some courses at Churchill Secondary that are not offered at Ideal. It is the only mini school in the VSB that is completely off campus from its steward school and housed in its own building. Although seemingly informal in nature at first glance (e.g. painted lockers, no bells), Ideal has structured schedules, classes, and curricula.
Staff-wise, there are 6 teachers, 1 secretary, and 1 counselor. As for students, there is 1 cohort of each grade from 8 through 12. Due to our small school setting we can create a community-like feel to our school between our staff, students, and families. Everyone, including staff, is on a first name basis. The mutualistic relationship between all stakeholders makes our school a safe, cooperative, and positive learning environment where everyone works together for the benefit of our students. We pride ourselves in the academic but also the social emotional growth of our students. Students learn to become leaders and are typically actively involved in our school community. The majority of our graduates go onto post-secondary education to further their studies in areas of their interest.
Enrichment and Value-added Programs
- Science Fair 8-10 projects as part of Science 8-10 curriculum. Optional at the Senior level
- Leadership 12
- Cafeteria Program in grade 10, including Food Safe certification
- Junior and Senior Drama Performances
Field study opportunities:
- Annual school-wide camp trip led by Leadership 12 students
- Grade 8 & 9 Science trip to Bamfield Marine Sciences Centre
- Grade 11 & 12 Sister School Exchange trip to Yokohama, Japan
- Annual Encounters with Canada Program to Ottawa
Local field trips:
- Bard on the Beach
- School-wide Ice Skating trip
- Vancouver Film Festival
- Playland Physics (Physics 11)
- and more!!!
Annual School-wide Traditional Events:
- Halloween Potluck
- Kris Kringle Day
- Desserts, Arts, and Drama Night
- School Picnic/Sport Day
School Clubs and Student Involvement Opportunities:
- Ideal Mini Student Council
- Me to We Club
- Writing Club
- Music Club
- Ethics Bowl
- Destination Imagination
- LGBTQ Club
- and many more clubs started by our very own students!
- **PLUS – our students are eligible to join over 100 clubs available at Churchill as well as many sports teams